Help:About your wiki/How to create account
Depending on the purpose of your wiki, different account creation policies may apply.
- No new accounts
- The feature that allows new visitors to create their accounts is disabled. In this case, accounts can be created:
- By admins (or other user group with appropriate rights)
- By people having a special invite link from the admin (available via extension)
- Automated account creation
- The feature is available when you use external authentication / authorization system:
- Corporate LDAP
- Account creation by visitors
- This is MediaWiki default. Everybody is allowed to create accounts.
Account creation by visitors[edit source]
There is a special page CreateAccount to register a new user account. It provides a set of fields and controls:
- Use a temporary random password and send it to the specified email address
- Confirm password
- Email address (optional)
- Real name (optional)
Depending on your wiki configuration, the set of available options may slightly vary, certain restrictions can be imposed on the password length and complexity or characters that can be used in username, etc. Certain configurations may set an email address mandatory and require user email confirmation, or force a CAPTCHA test.
The location of the Create account link is not fixed, different skins can place it in different places. The most common places are:
- A link in the upper right corner of the page (usually only visible to anonymous visitors)
- A button below the user login form