|Nationality||United States of America|
|Genres||Folk rock, Celtic music|
Adam Stemple is a Celtic-influenced American folk rock musician, based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He is also the author of several fantasy short stories and novels, including two series of novels co-written with his mother, writer Jane Yolen.
Stemple also wrote a Push-Fold chart for poker with poker player Chris Wallace.
Music[edit | edit source]
Stemple played guitar and sang as a member of the folk rock "rock-and-reel" band Cats Laughing from 1988 to 1996. The band also included notable fantasy/science fiction authors Steven Brust and Emma Bull.
Stemple also produced and performed on Steven Brust's solo album A Rose for Iconoclastes.
In April 2015, Stemple reunited with Cats Laughing in a concert at the Minicon science fiction convention. A live CD and DVD of the concert was released in late 2015.
Fiction[edit | edit source]
Stemple's first novel, for Tor Books, was Singer of Souls. A sequel, Steward of Song, was published in 2008.
With his mother, Jane Yolen, Stemple has also co-authored two series of books — the Rock 'n Roll Fairy Tale series, and more recently, The Seelie Wars. The Rock 'n Roll Fairy Tale series began with Pay the Piper, published in 2005 by Tor. Pay the Piper was the winner of the 2006 Locus Award for Best Young Adult Book.
Among Stemple's other published short stories, "A Piece of Flesh" was chosen as one of ten short stories included in The Year's Best SF and Fantasy for Teens (2005).
Stemple was among the members of a group of writers known as the Pre-Joycean Fellowship, which included his bandmates Emma Bull and Steven Brust.
Discography[edit | edit source]
with Cats Laughing:
with Boiled in Lead:
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Novels[edit | edit source]
- Stemple, Adam (2005). Singer of Souls. Tor Books. ISBN 0-7653-1170-4.
- Stemple, Adam; Yolen, Jane (2005). Pay the Piper: A Rock 'n' Roll Fairy Tale. Tor. ISBN 0-7653-1158-5.
- Stemple, Adam; Yolen, Jane (2006). Troll Bridge: A Rock 'n' Roll Fairy Tale. Starscape. ISBN 0-7653-1426-6.
- Stemple, Adam (2008). Steward of Song. Tor. ISBN 978-0-7653-1630-1.
- Stemple, Adam; Yolen, Jane (2013). B.U.G. (Big Ugly Guy). Dutton Books for Young Readers. ISBN 978-0525422389.
- Stemple, Adam; Yolen, Jane (2013). The Hostage Prince (The Seelie Wars #1). Viking Books for Young Readers. ISBN 978-0670014347.
- Stemple, Adam; Yolen, Jane (2014). The Last Changeling (The Seelie Wars #2). Viking Books for Young Readers. ISBN 978-0670014354.
Selected short fiction[edit | edit source]
- "Robin Hood v1.5.3," in Yolen, Jane, ed. (2002). Sherwood: Original Stories from the World of Robin Hood. Puffin. ISBN 978-0698119536.
- "The Three Truths" (Paradox, Issue 6, Winter 2004-2005)
- "Troubles" (with Jane Yolen), in Greeley, Andrew M., ed. (2005). Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy. Tor Fantasy. ISBN 978-0765344236.
- "Kitsune" (Paradox, Issue 9, Summer 2006)
- "The Tsar's Dragons," in Dann, Jack; Dozois, Gardner, eds. (2009). The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy. Ace Hardcover. ISBN 978-0441017645.
- "Little Red" (with Jane Yolen), in November, Sharyn, ed. (2009). Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction. Firebird. ISBN 978-0142405529.